Murry’s, Inc. began in 1948 in the back room of a Washington, D.C. retail food store operated by Al and Ida Mendelson and their son, Murry. As a sideline to their regular food business, the family began to manufacture a 2 oz. sandwich steak for neighboring food establishments.
In 1956, it moved to a larger facility in Alexandria, Virginia. Once established in the new location, the company continued developing additional appetizing frozen food items.
In 1949, Murry’s first wholesale route was established. The first retail store, under the Murry’s name, opened in 1958. The company continued to grow.
In 1971, Murry’s purchased a 42,000 sq. ft. plant in Lebanon, Pennsylvania and moved its manufacturing operations to this new facility.
While all Americans celebrated our country’s Bicentennial in 1976, Murry’s celebrated by opening its 50th retail store location and its 56th food service sales route. The Lebanon facility was expanded to 60,000 sq. ft. In addition, Murry’s purchased a 162,000 sq. ft. building at Pennsylvania Avenue and the Capital Beltway in Upper Marlboro, Maryland to serve as the company’s new distribution center and corporate headquarters.
During the 1990s, Murry’s identified several new business opportunities and formed a National Sales Division. This new division focused on getting Murry’s branded products into grocery stores.
Today, Murry’s “Route Sales” territories extend throughout the mid-Atlantic area and include several thousand restaurants, diners and other food service businesses. The Food Store Division has stores in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia and Philadelphia. In addition, Murry’s branded products are in 49 states at more that 10,000 grocery stores. The Lebanon facility has again been expanded to 100,000 sq. ft. and the production lines have been highly automated.
Through all of this growth and prosperity, Murry’s continues to be a privately held, family-owned business, providing quality and value to our customers.